Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Friendship

You know what I like about friends? And I don't mean those people you kind of know and when someone asks you who you were just talking to you, you shrug and say in a non committal way: "They're just a friend." I mean the kind of friends who if you're dumped spend the weekend making voodoo dolls of your ex with you; the kind of friends who spend the night with you because you saw a scary movie and now you're afraid of the dark; friends who if you were kidnapped would form a posse, complete with their own theme music, and take on every bad guy in the world to save you. You know what I like about those kinds of friends?

They are awesome.

The dictionary defines the word awesome as a word describing something that inspires awe. Which in turn means "an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is so grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like." Well that describes my friends to a T.

Sometimes, like today, I sit and think about everything that is wrong in my life: I'm too fat, I'm too loud, I have no follow through, my family is certifiable, my computer keeps breaking down - and then as if they can sense my spiralling emotions I seem to receive a mental slap upside the head followed by the unamused voices of my friends, demanding to know what the hell my problem is. Yeah, things suck sometimes but I live in a beautiful house, there is always food on the table or in the fridge (even if I don't like it - mushrooms = yuck!), I've been fortunate enough to study what I want in university and pursue my career goals, and yes, my family may have their issues and probably need a visit from Dr. Phil, but we love each other and take care of each other.

I remind the voices in my head that I am human and deserve to bitch and moan from time to time - after all, venting is very cathartic. But the great thing about my friends, whether I'm with them physically or their voices are just in my mind, is that they will have none of my nonsense. They will stalk stand-up comedians in Montreal and Glasgow or actors in Portland and Vancouver with me, they will take ridiculous photo shoots outside Medieval Times and have "Murder, She Wrote" weekend marathons with me, but they will not stand for my nonsense.

I must have been born under a lucky star to have these amazing friends. If I never amount to anything in this world, I wont care (well, I wont care too much) because I know that in the eyes of my friends I am fantastic and they in return are awe inspiring in mine.

I love you guys with all my heart!

XXXOOO

Do not save your loving speeches
For your friends till they are dead;
Do not write them on their tombstones,
Speak them rather now instead.
- Anna Cummins

No comments:

Post a Comment