Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ruminations on Online Dating


So my online dating profile usually goes something like this:

Created at 2am after watching a sappy romantic movie or reading some stupid post on facebook about a happy couple. 3 weeks and 4 dropped conversations (legitimate ones, not those horrid creeper ones) later: deleted.

So this time when I made a profile I decided that I would stick to it. I have to say it’s not going very well. I dunno if it’s a phase I’m going through or if I’m just becoming a bit of a crotchety old woman, but everything men say on these things seem to annoy me.

For example, I did an undergraduate degree in Medieval and Celtic studies. It says this on my profile. A very nice young man in med school asked me what I liked best about that period. I dutifully answered that I was most interested in the literature and the social history of the times. To which he responded: “I didn’t know they had literature. I thought it was just the bible. Lol.” Well, I didn’t respond, but what I said out loud to my computer screen was: “Really!? What, have you been living under a rock? I mean I will concede that people who aren’t as obsessive as me won’t know about Luidprand of Cremona or Abelard and Heloise, but seriously?? Beowulf, King Arthur, Robin Hood. They are all medieval! Only had the bible my ass…”

See. Crotchety.

I am definitely becoming less and less tolerant of men on the Internet. I have also found the more annoyed I am, or the more crass the men are, the more formal and almost Victorian becomes my speech pattern. I would like to blame the crotchety on the kind of men, like the one who IM’d me this evening, but I’m sure at least some of it is my fault.

But I don’t understand how men think it’s okay to be, well, frankly, beasts, when they speak to me online. Especially when absolutely nothing about my profile says I’m interested in anything beastly. Seriously. What about my stuffy and random profile makes you think I’m interested in seeing your penis? I don’t know if I’m part of a dying breed or if all women feel this way, but in my opinion, it doesn’t matter whether you are on the street, in a work place or online, I would like to be treated with some modicum of respect. It doesn’t matter if a man emails it to me or he says it to my face, but when he says “oh my god your tits r amazing”, I’m going to be appalled! What is it about the internet dating sites that make men all of a sudden think it’s okay to be filthy and frankly, assholes?

Now, my friends will attest that I can be absolutely filthy and inappropriate, but come on! There is a time and a place. When you are speaking to someone for the first time you should be putting your best foot forward – especially if this is someone you want to pursue romantically!  And I know most of them aren’t writing these messages on their phones, so why do I get messages like this:

“hey how r u want 2 hangout. i like ur pics”

Messages like that make me want to pound my head against something hard. The English language is screwed. I wont even respond anymore to messages like this. Spell the damn word out for the love of all that is holy! Don’t get me wrong, I make allowances for guys whose profiles say they are from non-English speaking countries. That is legitimate. You, Mr. Smith who was born and raised in Toronto and is in university, have no excuse.

Sometimes I think I should just relax and not expect so much. But then I think: No. I'm not high maintenance, I don't 'have issues', I have standards. And I wont lower mine to raise yours. 

So the adventures carry on. I will continue to respond to the nice ones in a pleasant manner, and amuse myself by speaking 'old fashioned' to the creepers. 


So for your amusement, here is a fairly typical conversation for me:

Him: Hey there

Me: Hi

Him: How are you doing?

Me: I'm fine, how are you?

Him: battling the evil spring allergies

Me: Ah yes. I myself have never had occasion to do battle with them, but I hear they can be formidable foes.

Him: haha indeed
. Where in Toronto are you? I'm by Finch station

Me: Why do guys always ask me where I live? It seems rather personal so early in the courtship.

Him: because it's a process 
if you live too far the conversation winds down
 if you live close by it's more exciting because there's a high possibility you could meet

Me: Ah. Well, I will tell you that I don't live anywhere near Finch. If that helps you in your process in anyway.

Him: well that doesn't really narrow it down 
I like your pictures
 do you like cookies?

Me: No. No it doesn't.
Yes. Yes I do.

Him: Did you like my photos?

Me: They are lovely. I did notice you like to show a lot of belly. Was this a calculated choice?

Him: well I'm actually not showing off my belly in the 3rd picture
if you look closer

Me: Noted.

Him: are you going to investigate further?

Me: Depends. Is it going to be something will offend my sensibilities? Ask yourself: Would Jane Austin be appalled? If the answer is yes, then I probably wont investigate.

Him: I think Jane A usten would be intrigued

Me: Hmmm...
And what picture is it you want me to investigate?

Him: the 3rd one

Me: I'm just going to ask you outright. Are you asking me to look at your penis?

Him: Is that what you think it is ;)

Me: Well if that is in fact what you are asking me to see then a) I don't see it so clearly it's not that impressive and b) That is extremely inappropriate and not at all the way to speak to a woman. Perhaps you should learn how better to treat a woman of quality before you start speaking with them again.

Him: hmm well what size would you consider "impressive"?

Me: Oh sweet lord. Did you not read the part about speaking to a lady of quality? One does not discuss such things with a lady, and one ESPECIALLY does not discuss it as the first topic of conversation! And frankly sir, what are you going to do about becoming the size I want? Are you going to steal someone else's?? I'm a little concerned! 
*sigh* A gentleman you are not, and so I'm afraid I shall have to terminate this conversation. I bid you farewell and good luck in your relationship endeavors. However sordid and inappropriate they might be. 
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment