Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Problem with Traveling...

I've traveled back and forth between Canada and California for several years (by car, U -Haul and plane). I've traveled to Scotland to live for a year studying abroad and whilst I called St Andrews my abode I journeyed  into England and across Ireland. I've visited Texas, Oregon, Tennessee, and New Mexico. And most of this traveling I've done on my own so I've learned some of the ins and outs of how to be a good traveler (I don't profess to be an expert, but I'm not useless). I've been stranded at train stations, stuck in traffic jams, gotten on the wrong bus and I've missed connecting flights. I'd like to think I'm prepared for every type of situation and have the emotional stability to handle being out on my own in the big wide world.

But can I pack my suitcase appropriately? No.

Apparently when it comes to packing I am no longer a 23 year old woman with two degrees and the emotional fortitude gained from years of living with a crazy family. No. When it comes to packing I am a 4 year old who must have everything she sets her eyes on. And woe to anyone who gets in the way of that. Mine! It's all mine I say!

My friends have tried to help me, asking me to justify each piece of clothing that goes into my suitcase (right down to underwear and socks), but something I've learned over the past few trips - I can justify anything that goes in that suitcase. And I mean everything. For example: I flew from Toronto, Canada to Santa Ana, California in May to spend the summer with my Dad and Step-Family while I earned some money to support myself in my upcoming internship. What made it into my suitcase? More clothes then I really needed, maracas and panpipes, books that I haven't read yet (even though I spent the whole month of May and half of June unemployed), and tons of papers that I can't even remember why they made the cut. Not to mention all the DVDs (which I also haven't watched), pictures in frames, jewelry and electronics.

To be fair I was packing for the summer in California and the winter in England. Two vastly different temperatures. So the sweaters that I packed did have a real justification. But now that I'm 8 days out from flying to my internship in England I find myself, again, stuck in the same dilemma. The problem is that I like clothes too much. I have too have different outfits with removable parts (cardigans and leggings and such) so I can always feel different - fresh and new every day. Now, this being said, I do not spend lots of money on these clothes. There is a lovely thrift shop near my house where items range in price from $1.90 to a whopping $5. I'm such a big spender... So in the next couple of days I will either be lamenting the clothes that must be left behind or figuring out ways to travel via plane, subway, and train to my internship with a 50lb check-in bag, a 15lb carry-on and a bulging purse.

Should anyone have any suggestions on how to cut myself off emotionally from my things, I am all ears. Well, not all of my things... just some of them.

1 comment:

  1. So after reading this post I must say ah! I have always told you that you want to much stuff when packing and now you have had to do the weeding out on your own which I am sure you did knowing how hard it would be to carry all of that stuff. So basically the point of this comment is "I told you so" :P

    ReplyDelete