Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cops and Piranhas

I remembered last night's dream this morning, but when I finally sat down tonight to write it, I found all memories of it had fled. Well, all but the distinct feeling that it had to do with a combination of the television shows The Vampire Diaries and The Walking Dead. I bet it was pretty interesting...


Anyway, one from the archives...


12 December 2011


Last night I was a detective. 


My partner and I stood over the body of a dead woman, splayed on the hardwood floor of her bungalow. The first suspect that came to mind was her deadbeat husband. He had been arrested several times for domestic violence, but the charges had never stuck. She kept taking him back, forgiving and forgetting.


The scene shifted and we were standing over the woman's corpse in the morgue. The Medical Examiner told us that she had a brother who had also been killed. Slowly turning around we saw her brother was on the autopsy table behind us. The ME bent over the body and pulled apart his stiff gums. There was a grey discolouration on them - by this he was able to determine that the brother had died first. This news shocked myself and my partner. We were going to have to rethink the entire crime! . 


The scene changed again and we were in an darkly lit interrogation room.  The dead woman's husband sat at the rickety silver table, denying as hard and as loud as he could any involvement in either death. My partner didn't believe him, but I something in my gut told me that, though this man was a scumbag and not worth crud on my shoe, this was not our guy.


A tech entered the room to show us a video he had found on youtube. Facial recognition software thad picked out the dead brother in a video called "The nerd in the video". It was black and white and set in a dorm room. The brother was the nerd, leaning back in a computer chair with a key board in his lap. Another man was in the background laughing, though he was mostly off camera. The husband of the dead woman told us that the man laughing just out of camera shot was the man we were looking for.


We left the police station and went to a giant high tech facility where we met the man from the video. He swore he knew nothing, but his arrogance made me believe otherwise. We took a young woman from the premises (perhaps his girlfriend? She was at least someone he loved, for he followed us to save her) and we went out into the sea (for the facility was on the shore of a large ocean) to get answers from her. My partner tried to drown her to get her to confess her part in the killings and rat out the guy from the video but she was crying and said she didn't know anything. We were all treading water and I was too far away to stop my partner. I swam as fast as I could to save the girl from him, but when I got to her, my partner had already let her go, disgusted by her refusal to give up the suspect. Grabbing her I tried to drag her to shore because I realized that a storm was coming fast and if we didn't get out of the water soon we would all drown. The closer we got to shore the greater the feeling became that we were about to be eaten by piranhas. 


That's when my alarm clock went off. 


I wonder what would have happened. Would we have made it to shore before the storm or the piranhas? Would the man from the video have confessed? Maybe he would have put us on a new lead. Or perhaps it simply would have been a dead end...

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I care for your partner's interrogation methods, perhaps he should be eaten and you two spared?

    ReplyDelete